Friday, March 9, 2012

International Women's Day

Yesterday was the Internation Women's Day, dedicated to women's rights.
To be honest, it is the first time I pay attention, and participate.  Until I heard the comments in France following May14th, I thought French women were "almost" equal. At this occasion, I realized that this is not the case, in many domains, and this brought me to Marseille at the end of the afternoon yesterday for a walk to defend our rights. It was the occasion to meet women and men from different backgrounds, with a strong belief that things have to change, and willing to help.

The walk started from the Vieux Port (the harbour in the center of town) and ended at the Prefecture.


(I'm not sure this is eco-friendly, but the sight is beautiful. It was still early, with a lot of activities going on. I don't know if they switch the lights off for the night. I do hope they do.)

4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This is the first year I have ever heard of such a day.

georgia little pea said...

I forgot all about the day myself though a (male) friend had wished me a happy WD just the night before!

startare said...

Je serais venue, mais j'étais en Turquie avec mon jules. Là-bas, ils ont décidé de faire une loi pour lutter contre les violences domestiques, car le pays vient juste derrière les Usa pour les violences faites aux femmes!
A bientôt

Susan Elliott said...

Good for you for participating!

Last year my friends and I attended a movie on Women helping Women in Vietnam and Uganda and Bosnia... It was very moving.

This year we didn't do anything but I"m glad to see you did!