Saturday, March 6, 2010

Nine

I went to see Nine and loved it.
I read that some are upset and preferred Chicago. I did not like Chicago. Maybe it is why I like Nine :-)
No, the reason why I like it is this. When I was a little girl, the Italian movies were at their best and made Europe dream. My sister brought movie magazines home, and they were full of images that made me dream, although I never saw most of those films. I loved the dresses and hairdos too. And Nine is just the same. An old movie magazine come true, with beautiful dresses.
And I think Daniel Day Lewis is perfect in that role. Marion Cotillard too, if you ask me. I found she was touching.
What a nice touch to have Sophia Loren in the cast, she was our goodess then, wasn't she?
And isn't it a pleasure to see women with real curves in that film?

PS: A funny thing, I keep saying "neen", as in provencal, not as the English word. The lady at the counter must have thought I was totally illiterate :-) (I went to see the English version).  Here, you would call a dear little girl "ma Nine" (my sweetie). I guess Guido would have called his lovers Nine, if he were from Provence :-).

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I might rent this just to see the dresses.

Susan Elliott said...

I cannot wait to see this movie. I couldn't convince my husband to pay for it in the movies but I'm happy to hear it got your positive vote!

Rosemary said...

Loved this movie too. Particularly the dance scenes.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen this one yet, but I must do soon! suzie xx

nikkipolani said...

Glad you enjoyed the movie -- not only for the story and execution but the dresses and hairdos. I remember seeing old movies (Fred Astaire types) with the big billowing dresses. I always wanted to try to make them for my dolls....